About the job
Who we are
Sendwave is on a mission to make sending funds to loved ones as easy and affordable as sending a text. What makes us stand out in a sea of similar apps? We deeply care about the diasporas and communities we serve — and that comes with a sense of connection to the markets we operate in. We strive to make life better for everyone who touches our product. That means recognizing and honoring the human experience behind sending money. We do that by remaining fee-free in most of our markets and offering round-the-clock customer care.
Our app is currently available in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, and parts of Europe, and sends funds to 19 receiving countries for over 500,000 users. We currently have a 4.6-star rating on Trustpilot — people put their faith in us to deliver their money quickly, securely, and affordably. And we’re pretty darn proud of that.
How we work
What we’re most proud of though is our brilliant, creative, and tenacious team. Our remote-first workplace means you’ll be working with Sendwavers in Europe, Africa, South America, and the U.S. that all share a core set of Sendwave values. What exactly are those values? Glad you asked.
There will always be more problems to solve and opportunities to pursue than we have the capacity for. We’re not afraid to say no and are willing to let fires burn, knowing that to win we must discern and execute decisively on the vital few rather than the important many.
- Take full ownership of the outcomes we’re responsible for. Our job is not to do what we can to solve a problem. It's to ensure that problem is solved. If an attempt to solve a problem doesn't work, we seek an alternative. If we need help, we request it, and, if necessary, demand it.
- Forge a diverse team and inclusive culture. We believe the challenges we’re addressing will be best met by a truly global, diverse team, working together. We’re not naive to the systemic bias and discrimination that make this easier said than done, so we check our egos, listen deeply, and measure progress towards making this a fundamental part of our success.
- Maximize our rate of learning. We view projects as ever-evolving drafts and welcome opportunities to discover that what we had in mind won't work so we can move to an even better end state. Most importantly, we do this fast. The faster we run these loops — as a company and individuals — the faster we’ll achieve our mission.
- Embrace embarrassing honesty from ourselves and others. We function best when we're open and honest with one another — especially about our challenges and doubts. We lean into uncomfortable conversations and support our colleagues when they do the same.
- Maximize energy, not time spent. We measure our own and others’ contributions by objectives reached, not time spent. Living a full life outside of work is necessary for high achievement over the long term.
Your key areas of focus
For the first 3 to 6 months, you’ll:
- Lead a global business development team of 15-20 people
- Build processes that quickly identify the next 50 receiving markets we should enter and the right partners to go to market with. You’ll also ensure that those market launches are executed seamlessly on the partner side through diligent follow-up.
After that, you’ll:
- Identify and source major partnerships to support our move into adjacent businesses and radically improve Sendwave and WorldRemit’s offering and cost structure.
- Play a global regulatory affairs role, interfacing with partners, governments, and central banks (when required).
- Lead Zepz’s market entry into more complex sending markets as we continue working toward our mission to make money transfers as easy and affordable as sending a text — anywhere.
What You Bring To The Table
- The ability to secure partnerships. Quickly. We should feel confident in your ability to deliver the 50 markets we’re looking for now.
- A keen strategic mind. You’ll be a thought leader for Sendwave and help shape the future of our business through the partnership opportunities you bring to the rest of leadership and those you turn away.
- Impeccable ethics. Full stop.
- Successful execution of complex deals across at least three continents. Including in some of the markets we currently serve.
- Excellent management skills. You’ll be leading a strong team, and your greatest contribution will be getting the most out of those who report to you.
- Willingness to travel. When in doubt, we hop on a plane to get the deal done.
Bonus points if you’re:
- Experienced with remittance or payments business development.
- Passionate about our mission.
Let’s talk about the benefits. Here are a few perks you can look forward to:
- 401K offering a 4% employer match of employees’ base salary.
- Part employer-funded medical and dental care plans.
- Part employer-funded health savings account
- Recharge days, 4 per year, 1 day each quarter to use to relax, refresh and recharge
- Employee Assistance Programme offering general advice and well-being support, 24/7, 365
- Employer-paid Life insurance of 2 times your salary, should the worst happen.
- Voluntary Benefit plans available
- 15 days of vacation plus public holidays, rising to 18 days after 3 years.
- Paid sick leave.
- Eligible for discretionary bonus and recognition rewards
And best of all:
- Our team of over 400 employees is fully distributed across the world. We are working from coffee shops, homes, and co-working spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, band members, yoga teachers, YouTube influencers, former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili, Wolof, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish and Swedish.
- We recently joined forces with WorldRemit, another remittance company. We’re excited about the ways we can collaborate and continue to provide the best service to our users.
Ready to apply?
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume along with a cover letter highlighting why your experience demonstrates you meet the requirements of the role. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we'll let you in on a secret: there's no such thing as a 'perfect' candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up every day.