About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps partners with communities as they move from a place of fragility to resilience, meeting urgent needs while addressing root causes – always powered by the belief that a better world is possible. To do this, we know our teams do their best work when they are diverse, and every team member feels that they belong. We welcome diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and skills so that we can be stronger and have long term impact.
The Program / Department / Team
Mercy Corps has been operating in Zimbabwe since 2002 focusing its interventions on a multi-sectoral market systems development portfolio mobilizing communities to promote small-scale agriculture and revive local economies. MC Zimbabwe seeks to support at-risk communities in Zimbabwe to move towards sustainable development through building resilience and strong inclusive systems in the face of climatic and economic shocks and stresses.
General Position Summary
Mercy Corps Zimbabwe will implement a one (1) year USAID Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA)-funded ELEVATE program to respond to households experiencing acute food insecurity by providing life-saving food assistance and support agricultural interventions to improve resilience of vulnerable households in targeted underserved pockets of rural communities.
Under the supervision of the Program Officer, the Program Assistant assists in the day-to-day implementation activities including community mobilisation, mentoring and monitoring activities, responding to community risk mapping (CRM), community education on utilization of agriculture inputs, agronomic practices, community-based maintenance of water points.
Duties and Responsibilities
● In collaboration with the Program Team, the Program Assistant translates and reviews the proposal
● Assist the Program Officer to develop and modify contingency plans, business plans, work plans,
budgets and other documents necessary for the project implementation, as required
● Assist in the implementation of interventions and ensure that they are effective in relation to
expected outputs, results and impacts
● Collaborate with the procurement staff on collecting pro forma invoices and finishing the
procurement process to purchase materials for the grant.
● Assist with the planning and writing of progress reports from the grant projects.
● Translate program documents and manuals from local languages into English and vice versa.
● Assist groups in case they have problems that hinder the project in the field.
● Remain flexible and willing to handle unforeseen circumstances.
● Write minutes of team and working group meetings.
● Assist the Program Officer in engaging various program stakeholders and developing partnerships
● Assist the Program Officer in providing capacity building support to relevant partners and
● Assist in facilitating field visits for Mercy Corps staff and donor agency visitors. Actively participate in
the development of new initiatives.
Qualifications and Experience
Knowledge and Experience
● Bachelor’s degree in Agriculture, International Development, Social Sciences or any related field.
● Experience in food assistance and resilience programming.
● Willingness to engage in problem-solving and troubleshooting.
● Excellent computer skills, including expertise in PowerPoint, Explorer, PhotoShop and digital camera
technology, Excel and Outlook Express.
● Strong organizational skills.
● Willingness to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
● Ability to perform several activities simultaneously, while maintaining a controlled presence.
● Superior English skills.
● Strong team player and communicator.
How to Apply
How to apply
To apply, please send one document that includes your cover letter describing your interest, qualifications, contactable references, and your CV to Mercy Corps Human Resources at [email protected] by COB 12 August 2022. Applications should be clearly marked with the position applied for in the email subject line.
Mercy Corps is an equal opportunity organization and encourages both female and male candidates to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applicants will be considered on a rolling basis and shortlisting will proceed as applications are received.